Monday, October 12, 2009

"When God lifts you up, stay humble."

Wow. This weekend has been so crazy and incredible. I wish I could describe it all and share every little bit with you but that would take some time. Time which I don't have at the moment and time which I wouldn't want to take from you but let me share with you some of the highlights and moments where God really shone through!

- Friday morning waking up at 4:45am to sound check with Mac Powell, the lead singer of Third Day, at the Catalyst conference in Atlanta, GA. It was definitely some God strength that was imparted to all of us on staff and the kids as they definitely had more than enough energy throughout the entire day.

- Watching the kids perform Mighty to Save with Mac Powell in the late morning session in the Gwinnet Arena which seats about 13,000 people.




- Seeing the kids lead people in worship at the Center for Performing and Visual Arts in Newnan, GA.

- I'll go into more depth about this one. On Saturday, our kids got to perform 2 songs by themselves and then 1 song with Third Day at the Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre. Third Day was the headliner but there were also other groups there such as Jars of Clay and Glory Revealed. Originally the kids were to perform God of Wonders in the middle of Third Day's set with them but after Mac had sung with them during Catalyst and during their earlier performance, he asked if the kids would sing with Third Day the song Agnus Dei, the second to last song in their set. It was great, except the kids didn't know the song. So, about 2 hours before Third Day was to do the song, the kids got a private practice session with Mac Powell. Check it out.



The performance went well. From my standpoint I thought that it was incredibly powerful. The tough part was that we finished performing around 11pm and were planning on travelling to a hotel in South Carolina, which was a 2 hour drive so we got in around 1am.




- Sunday morning, once again God showed His blessings to us in the form of energy because after finally getting to bed around 1:30am we had to wake up around 6am in order to make it to soundcheck for a church we'd be singing at. This church had 4 different services that the kids would be singing in, throughout the day and each of these services had about 3000 people.

- Today we travelled from Anderson, SC through North Carolina and Virginia to where we currently are now in Gaithersburg, MD. Took us about 8 hours, which is kind of funny when you think of it because I know that it could take a person 8 hours to get from San Francisco to Los Angeles.

- Tomorrow is a bit of a vacation day, though i'm still waking up around 5:45am but that's in order to make sure we have a full day visiting the White House and Capital building! The kids are definitely pumped for that.

As great as all this was throughout this insane weekend, there's one thing that God put in my ear and has been reminder ever since. After the private session with Mac Powell and everyone was totally pumped up and excited, Grace, the wife of our Kenyan choir director and essentially the Daraja mom, said this "When God lifts you up, stay humble." That is so important to remember, even for myself though I have no role in the actual performances, I could still feel a sense of pride building up in me even in just the things that God allowed me to a part of. One of the most beautiful parts of these kids is seeing their humility in their worship leading because it is so true that when pride enters the scene, it really begins to rob God of the glory only He is deserving of. Humility is definitely a characteristic I am striving to truly live out.

Prayer would also be great in the area of making sure to find time for just myself and God. The schedules can be so busy at times that I have oftentimes not made that time though I know that's when it is most important to do so. My desire is for my character to be reflective of who He is and that really is something that will be born through my pursuit of Him. Time for me to really start making that happen.

Thanks for all the prayers, really felt God holding us up this weekend and I know your partnered prayers had a part in that. Much love.

2 comments:

  1. whoa mac powell is left handed haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you and for your time with God. Your character shines, and it is clear that you are His!!

    ReplyDelete