Thursday, November 5, 2009

Half Time

This weekend, I was in Cincinnati, Ohio! We flew there, though we actually landed in Kentucky so cross another state off the list. We had a worship performance the night we arrived at the Youth Specialities Conference. The next day, my brother, David, and his girlfriend, Lindsey, drove down 6 hours from Michigan to hang out with the kids and I and get to see the worship performance. I also asked them to write a little something to share their thoughts on the night as well.

"Its hard to exactly put into words the feelings that I experienced as I interacted with and watched the Daraja kids, but amazing does come to mind. To make this short and to the point, the one thing that really stuck in my mind was something that one of the 410Bridge staffers had repeated from a pastor in Atlanta, and that was that, "the one thing the Daraja kids dont have is self pity". Here are these children who at the age of 9-14, have probably gone through more trials than 90% of Americans will go through in their entire lifetimes, including me, and there is not one tell tale sign of those hardships on their faces. The passion with which these children seem to live their lives is infectious. Lindsey and I couldnt help but discuss the energy that just being in their presence made us feel. It is very humbling. It truly shows the simplicity of the effects of God's love on us. It isnt hard to achieve, but it is the process of letting ourselves feel and experience God's love that seems difficult for people to attain. I will always remember the Daraja kids for this and even though we only had a short short time together, I know that I will reflect on their example frequently. Yes they sang amazing, yes they were fun to watch, and yes they were really cute...but what I will remember the most is just how they did the most mundane and simple things with such joy and passion. They were role models to me and a true example of the saving effects of God's grace and love for us." - David



"Meeting the Daraja Children's Choir of Africa was good for me, to say the very least.They are little miracles. All my life I have been shown nothing but love and security, yet, at times, it is such a challenge to remember God and be as happy and content as He wishes me to be. Considering the hardships and the surroundings these children have to endure in Kenya, it's remarkable to me that each of them is so full of happiness and gratitude. God is just in them. He is literally a choice, a feeling to feel, and a prayer away. The children have made the choice, despite seeing bits and pieces, or loads, of what is evil. They have faith in Him that I admire. Their smiles are genuine, as is the way they worship. From the short time I got to spend with the choir, I learned to just thank God and remember him, to "not worry about anything, but pray about everything." These children bless His love upon everyone. It's so evident in the way they play and dance and welcome conversation. " - Lindsey




Always a great time when family meets family!

Something i've been working on in my down time has been this...



Sometimes having a real brainless thing to do, like choosing clips and moving them around, can be pretty relaxing. Not to mention it has to do with my favorite sport and more importantly some of my favorite people.

Lately we've just been travelling through the North Carolina area. Right now i'm in Burlington, NC as the kids have just woken up from their nap and prepare themselves for sound check before tonights worship concert. We have just reached the half way mark and so we'll be celebrating tomorrow with a Sabbath day! Pretty much just a time of relaxation for all, which I think we're all looking forward to.

God has definitely shown me the importance and power of prayer over my time travelling. There's a real surrendering that takes place in it as we come to a realization of our limitations but more importantly, as we understand completely the sovereignty of God. There is so much I would like to do for people back at home or people i've met in my travels, whether it be in Ensenada or Kenya or throughout the US, but so little that I can do. It is a humbling feeling that leads me to the only place left to turn, prayer. I'm then able to give up these things that are too big for me to a God who is too big to even comprehend. It is a such a freeing feeling. Not to say that I don't do what I can but it is an understanding that I can't do everything on my own.  Yet even then, i'm still not completely helpless. I've learned that especially in the most busy of times, it is necessary to pray because there are situations in life that we, on our own, are unable to go on but life says we must. And it is in those moments that we remember this "Do you not know? Have you not heard? The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth, He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom. He gives strength to the weary, and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." - Isaiah 40:28-31. From this knowledge we can find peace in a truthful understanding that though we personally are unable to accomplish something, we can pray for and receive strength from a God who is an unending source of strength. And this same God has said to us "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you" and even "if we are faithless, He remains faithful". (Hebrews 13:5 and 2 Timothy 2:13)

Prayer is a God given gift that allows us to support fellow believers through uplifting everything back to Him. With that being said, having hit that half way mark, my body seems to have gotten a lot more tired all of a sudden. So prayer for some refueling and reenergizing in order that I may really give this last half of tour everything i've got would be greatly appreciated. I'd also love some prayer and even accountability as I attempt to become more disciplined in my time spent with God, specifically with prayer and scripture memorization.

I can't express how much I appreciate the continual support in hearing things from some of you every now and then, so thanks! Much love!

1 comment:

  1. It was great to see you guys...thanks for everything you do and for being willing to let God work through you. I pray that I get to see ya'll again sometime and pray that the rest of the trip is even more amazing than the last half.

    Peace Love and Jesus,
    Dusty

    ReplyDelete